Monday, August 31, 2009

The Torch Has Been Passed

Monday morning, cup of coffee, and a quiet house seems mundane and uneventful, doesn't it? Little did I know that today, August 31, 2009 was going to be a shift, a transition, and a passing of a baton. At around 9:30 the phone rang, not only jarring the quiet, but changing a familial position and perspective. Cousin Myrna, was calling to tell me that her mother had passed away at the mature age of 96. Aunt Doris was the last surviving child of Albert and Stella Sauter; the last Sauter girl. Oh my those Sauter girls were something! Into their later years they still "argued" about who had the best legs, who could kick the highest, and who cooked the most like their mother, who they called "Ma". They all could cook circles around anyone else I knew. They also loved retelling stories about their spirited brothers, who were the most gifted at...everything. Carroll, the athlete, Merle the business man, Gene, the dreamer, and Albert, the Chicago Heights policeman. Stories about the relative who had traded a pair of boots for swampy, worthless land that is now part of the Loop in Chicago, and being first settlers in Bloom Township. How their Great, great, grandfather was the first mail carrier, using his wife's laundry bag to tote the mail around, and how his wife named the area Bloom (flower in German?). They talked about Grandma never turning anyone away at mealtime and about the love their father had for their mother. Even if they squabbled, they were a family who were devoted to each other and extremely proud of their past and present accomplishments. Being born into this family meant that you were bound to be either attractive, smart, or talented, or all three, according to the sisters. Sure they were an over the top, tight club, but they were also a warm and loving family, quirks and all. The awareness that my first cousins and I are now the oldest generation, seemed almost as vivid as the realization that I was an orphan last April 1st when my 94 year old mom passed on to glory. So what memories will flood my mind in these days before the funeral? I remember going to Aunt Doris' house and seeing some of the most amazing antiques, deciding that I wanted to decorate my house in that same way. The first Buchanan house I remember visiting in Crete was so cool. I can't remember the street name, or address, but I can remember that house vividly. I loved it and was envious of my cousin's getting to live there. I also remember Aunt Doris being so stylish! She was kind enough to loan me her really beautiful hot pink pill box, feathery hat to wear with my "going away" outfit after my wedding. I think that it was her mink stole I wore on that February day in 1968. Whenever a cousin graduated, got married, had a baby, or celebrated anything, we were all there and we all shared the joys together. As the siblings grew older and our meetings became punctuated with deaths, we shared the sorrow as well. It was a wonderful family and Doris Buchanan was an integral part of it. I think about how we will all gather on Wednesday to bid our farewells; as a family once again. But now it's all different. As long as those Sauter girls were here, they kept the family traditions, and our direct link to the past was visible to us. It's still there, but dimmer with her passing. Now we are the "elder" generation of the family, and the cycle continues. My mother often told me that I reminded her of her sister Doris, and then a supporting story would follow. I wish I could tell Aunt Doris that I am pleased that there was a noticeable comparison. She was a strong woman, who worked hard her whole life. Her family was so important to her and they, and we, will miss her. Rest in peace Aunt Doris!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you see it in your world?